The American version of English ‘eggy bread’; makes four slices of toast which is more filling than it looks at first. For best results use slightly stale thick (1”) hand sliced bread. This dish was originally created as a palatable way of using up stale bread.
- 4 slices of thick bread
- 4 eggs (large free range)
- 1 cup (230ml) milk
- 2 tea spoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 tea spoon cinnamon
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Butter and Vegetable Oil (for pan)
- Icing sugar (for dusting)
- Mix together all the ingredients except for the bread and icing sugar.
- Cut the bread slices into half to make them easier to handle.
- Pour the egg mix into a shallow dish. Soak the bread for about a minute on each side.
- Cook in an oiled frying pan (use 1/2 butter and 1/2 oil) for about three minutes on each side (until a golden brown colour).
- To keep slices warm place on a baking sheet covered in grease proof paper in a warm oven.
- To serve dust with icing sugar.