Makes 8 Slices
Ingredients (for the Sponge)
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 200g Softened Unsalted Butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
Ingredients (for the filling)
- 100g butter, softened
- 140g icing sugar
- Drop vanilla extract
- 170g strawberry jam (half a jar of Tiptree Little Scarlet)
- Icing Sugar, to decorate.
- Pre-heat oven to 190c / fan 170c. Butter and line two 20cm sandwich tins; or if they are non-stick you may just need to line.
- In a mixing bowl beat, 200g caster sugar, 200g softened butter, 4 beaten eggs, 200g self-raising flour, 1 tsp baking powder and 2 tbsp milk together until you have a smooth, soft batter.
- Divid the mixture between the two tins, smooth the surface with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake for about 20 mins until golden and the cake springs back when pressed.
- Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool.
- To make the cream filling beat the 100g butter until smooth and then add in the 140g icing sugar and a drop of vanilla extract.
- Spread the buttercream over the bottom of one of the sponges top it with the strawberry jam and sandwich the second sponge on top.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.