Notes from “Taking People with You”
This book centres around the idea that “You’ll never accomplish anything big if you try to do it alone.”
In order to help other people you need to be yourself; some ideas to be yourself are:
- Have convictions.
- Know your stuff.
- Know your environment.
- Build Self-Awareness.
- Be open and honest about what you don’t know.
- Use positive self-talk and positive thought.
- Get out of your comfort zone.
Help others be themselves by:
- Believe in All People.
- Provide individual development plans.
- Create a Safe Haven.
- Openly seek knowledge and perspective from others.
“I believe leadership is a privilege. I also believe deep down in my bones that all people, when given a choice, have an inherent desire to do the right thing, to contribute, and to make a positive difference through the work that they do.l And I’m absolutely convinced that it’s crucial to have this mind-set in order to get the most of people you work with. As a matter of fact, I believe that there is potential in very person, and as the leader, it’s my job to unleash it.”
Model for Developing a Plan
Three Steps Toward Gaining Alignment
- Share the reality…help people understand why.
- Ask for input..show that you’ve listened.
- No involvement equals no commitment.
The Mood Elevator
(click for larger image)
- Where would I place myself on the mood elevator at the moment?
- Where do I think others would place me?
- The last time I had a struggle with someone on my team, where do I think I was on the mood elevator? How might this have affected my interactions with him/her?
- What are some quick things I can do to raise my mood when I catch it sinking?
- What are some long-term things I need to think about or work on to improve my own mood?
What to do when they say “It can’t be done”
- Listen and understand why.
- Incorporate valid objections into your plans.
- Listen, then lead.
- Do the right thing, and the right thing will happen.
“Anything can be done. The issue is never that you can’t do it. It’s how much does it cost, how long is it going to talk, and what are the resources? It’s what do you have to stop to get it done? I mean, you can do anything.” – Tom Ryan